Does Texas have reciprocity, or I’m licensed or certified in another state do I have to take the Texas course or I’m a nursing home administrator?

Texas has a regulation (553.253 (a)(2)(B)) which allows a manager who can show documentation of a previously completed comparable course of study to be exempt from the 24-hour training requirements. Someone coming from another state can probably show that the 16 hours administrative overview is comparable.

Keep in mind that many of the rules in (a)(2) are specific to ALFs.  So, the ones that might be comparable would be “basic principles of management, food and nutrition services, federal laws, with an emphasis [...]

By |2022-11-30T16:08:02-06:00September 22nd, 2022|

How do I pay?

When you register online you can submit payment using your credit card. If you didn’t do it when you registered, you can pay by calling in a credit card or you can send a check.

Please make a check payable to Texas Assisted Living Association and mail to:

Texas Assisted Living Association

Attn: Diana Martinez

4505 Spicewood Springs Rd., Suite 350

Austin, TX 78759

To make a payment by credit card, please call Naomi Ball at 512-653-6604 [...]

By |2022-09-22T08:47:29-05:00September 22nd, 2022|

What do I do to maintain AL managers status if I run an Alzheimer Certified Unit? What CEUs do I need if I run a memory care unit?

In addition to the 12 hours of CEUs that all AL managers need you must have 6 hours of dementia care education.

553.301 Manager Qualifications and Training

(a) The manager of the certified Alzheimer's facility or the supervisor of the certified Alzheimer's unit must

be 21 years of age, and have:

(1) an associate's degree in nursing or health care management;

(2) a bachelor's degree in psychology, gerontology, nursing, or a related field; or

(3) proof of graduation from [...]

By |2022-09-22T08:46:39-05:00September 22nd, 2022|

What do I do to maintain AL managers status? What CEUs do I need?

The regulations require AL managers to have 12 hours of Continuing Education Units every year. Below is the regulation. You must have a least two of the listed categories (see below). There are no requirements on where you get these CEUs. TALA offers a yearly conference that provides all the needed CEUs in the month of April. Additionally, HHSC requires you to take a yearly course from them on aging in place and retaliation.

553.253 Employee Qualifications and Training

(a) Manager qualifications. Each [...]

By |2022-11-30T16:09:08-06:00September 22nd, 2022|

How do I get my Assisted Living Manager’s license or certification?

Texas does not license or certify Assisted Living managers. Texas requires all Assisted Living managers to have a 24-hour course withing their first year of employment. Proof of completion must be maintained in the AL manager’s personnel file at the community. The 24 hours is broken down into 8 hours of Texas Regulations and 16 hours of administrative overview. The Regs portion must be taken before you start or within 90 days of your start date. The administrative overview course must be taken [...]

By |2022-11-30T16:09:38-06:00September 22nd, 2022|

What should I know about the licensing process?

HHSC licenses and certifies ALFs based upon compliance with state regulations. To become licensed, a location must:

  • Complete the pre-survey computer-based
  • Properly complete and submit the electronic license
  • Upload all required
  • Pay the required license
  • Electronically submit appropriate ownership
  • Pass on-site Life Safety Code and Health
  • Be approved by the Licensure and Certification

Licensure Fees

  • The license fee is $300, plus $15 for each bed for which a license is sought, with a maximum of

$2,250 for a three-year license. The license fee for a two-year license [...]

By |2020-04-02T14:30:43-05:00April 2nd, 2020|

What about Alzheimer’s Disease and related disorders certification?

A Type B assisted living facility can have a memory care unit / be Alzheimer certified. Additional requirements need to be met to achieve certification and there are additional fees.

Note, a facility that advertises, markets, or otherwise promotes that the facility or a distinct unit of the facility provides specialized care for persons with Alzheimer's disease or related disorders must be certified or have the unit certified.

By |2020-04-02T13:52:58-05:00April 2nd, 2020|

What are the different types of assisted living facilities?

Assisted living facilities (ALFs) must be licensed to operate in Texas. The Texas Health and Human Services(HHSC) licenses assisted living facilities based on residents' physical and mental ability to evacuate the facility inan emergency and whether nighttime attendance is necessary.

  • A Type A facility cares for residents who do not require routine attendance during sleeping hours and arecapable of following directions in an
  • A Type B facility is for residents who require staff assistance to evacuate, are not capable of followingdirections in an emergency and [...]
By |2020-04-02T13:44:02-05:00April 2nd, 2020|

What are the laws and regulations?

The state laws pertaining to assisted living facilities are contained, for the most part, in Health and Safety Code, Chapter247. The state regulations/standards that govern ALFs are contained in the Texas Administration Code, Title 26, Part I,Chapter 553.

The following links will direct you to the licensing standards and statues for ALFs

By |2020-04-02T14:31:12-05:00April 2nd, 2020|
Go to Top